23 June, 2013

All Safe

Well, that was awfully silly of me. I should have told you all that we are safe and dry in my last update about the flood here in Calgary. We live well away from the rivers and our power stayed on, which meant our sump pump was able to do its thing. So no repeat of our 2005 flood at home. Phew.

It really is quite insane here in Calgary. Even far away from the flood zones the roads are quiet. So many businesses shut down because their staff are directly affected. And our incredibly awesome mayor tells us to do things and we listen. So when he tells us to stay home, we do. When he tells us to restrict water, we happily skip laundry, and when he tells you stay off the water, all but one canoe listens.

I've had emails about quilts for evacuees and those who have lost everything. Of course there are quilt drives! Here are two I know of so far:

Quilting For Calgary
My Sewing Room (Hell or High Water Quilt Initiative)

UPDATE: The groups have merged into one, Quilting For Calgary.

If you know of others, please let me know and I will share the details (I have a collection of my own stuff ready to go.)

Also, note that this flooding is not exclusive to Calgary. There are numerous communities around Southern Alberta affected, some so devastatingly so. An event like this in unparalleled in our city's history though and has most of the city in shock. But we're also resilient (we are Prairie folks, after all). The sense of community reaching across the community is incredible. From the city's numerous food trucks and restaurants coming together to feed evacuees, first responders, volunteers, and media to strangers offering their homes to strangers who may lose theirs. This isn't my home city, but I'm incredibly proud to call it my home now.

13 comments:

Andrea said...

I love our mayor!!! He tells it like it is. How many politicians can have those kinds of badges of honour :-)

thanks for the links of the quilt drives. I think Matt Sparrow is organizing one through Edmonton..details to come.

Will offer longarming services for any quilts to be donated. (within reason...I do need to sleep!)

elle said...

When the going gets tough, the tough get going! Yay for community!

Alisa said...

Glad you are dry! My family is too!

CitricSugar said...

Saw Nenshi on the news and was happy that you're in capable hands and that he has the support that allows him to be so effective.

Also extremely happy that you're safe and dry! I also heard Matt Sparrow was organizing something. Very kind of Andrea to offer her services, too.

Beth said...

happy to learn that you are safe and dry. Have to go check out the links.

Barb said...

So happy you are dry and safe. We are following the news from BC. I'm off to check if I have any quilts to donate.

Patti said...

Glad to hear that you are safe and sound. And you do have an awesome mayor. I'll check to see what I have in the way of quilts to send. The banding together of Calgarians through all of this has been inspiring too.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

thanks for the links, but the first one just seems to link to Facebook, and not specifically to the quilting info??

Michele T said...

You guys have a great mayor... knew he was well liked and popular, but while watching the news about the events in Calgary and surrounding areas, it is obvious that Mayor Naheed Nenshi is awesome!!!

Kelsey said...

I couldn't agree more with that last sentence :) I'm a prairie girl from MB but gosh do I ever love this city we live in now. I shared a similar post on my blog. I also can't get enough of nenshi quotes (did you see the superman bus stop ad that was changed to nenshi's face? Ha!)

Anne Dale said...

Anne Dale from My Sewing Room here...
Thank you for posting your slab blocks - people are enjoying them. I think they are just the ticket when you need a cool quilt in a hurry
Matt sparrow and I have come together on this project and would be happy to take charge of your donations. We love all the support and kindness wherever it comes from...

VickyB said...

We in the quilt world are always ready to help. I am organizing our satelite group and will be in touch later for shipping, etc. Thanks to naptimequilter.blogspot.ca for sending out the quest for support. Vicky Barkley

Tina said...

In southern Ontario we quilt for others in need. Our hearts go out to all who are uprooted. We have a box full of assorted quils ready for Calgary and High River flood victims. Please send details for shipping. Tina